When the Webster Groves Historical Society was incorporated in 1965 as a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, its initial goal was to save the home of Christopher and Mary Ann Eades Hawken, which was facing demolition. In July 1970, the house was moved to its current Southwest Park location at 1155 South Rock Hill Road.
Today, the beautifully restored Hawken House with its elegant period furnishings is open to the public for tours, and our extensive Archive devoted to local history is maintained just a few feet away in the Hearth Room at Historic Hawken House, a community event venue with seating for 120.
Rental income derived from the Hearth Room helps maintain the Hawken House Museum and manage our Archive, which includes an impressive array of local history materials.
The Webster Groves Historical Society is a non-profit organization under section 501(c)3 of the federal tax code and receives no funding from the City of Webster Groves. The society is funded completely by Membership, Private Donations, Grants, revenue from Hearth Room Rentals, and Corporate Sponsorships.